✨ % off spend threshold orders - A % discount that can only be used on orders over a specified value is a great way to encourage members to spend more to be able to get the discount.
📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the sale is over the spend threshold.
Creating rewards is easy. There's no need to create coupon codes - these are automatically generated when a member spends their points to redeem the reward. Coupon codes are unique and only work once.
In this article:
- How to create a % off spend threshold reward
- Tips for success
How to create a % off spend threshold reward
1. In your admin, go to Rewards
2. Click Add Reward
Add the details of your reward:
3. Reward Title: Give your reward a title that lets your members know what their reward discount is and how much they need to spend in order to use it
4. Coupon Type: Click Percentage Off in the drop-down
5. Discount amount: Enter the % discount amount
6. Points cost: Set the number of points a member needs to spend to redeem your reward
7. Under Advanced options, go to Only apply if order subtotal is greater than
8. Enter the subtotal amount you want the member to spend to be able to use the reward
9. Under Terms, enter the terms that you want your members to abide by when using this reward. Read more about adding terms to your rewards
10. Click Create
Your new reward will now show on the Rewards page of your loyalty widget and is ready for your members to redeem.
How do members redeem % off spend threshold rewards?
- Online - The member adds their products to their cart and their unique coupon code to the discounts bar at checkout. If the order is over the spend threshold the reward discount is automatically applied to deduct the discount off. If the order is not over the spend threshold, the reward will not work.
- In-Store - 📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the sale is over the spend threshold.
The member will tell staff that they have a reward they would like to redeem. The staff member adds the member's details and the products to the sale. The staff member then must check that the sub total is equal to or over the reward threshold. If the subtotal is over the threshold, the staff member needs to click redeem on the reward under the member's account. There are no checks in place to make sure the spend threshold requirement has been met. Here's more detail on POS reward redemption
Does the points cost get taken away from their balance when they redeem a reward?
Yes, as soon as a reward is redeemed, the members points balance is adjusted, removing the points cost, to prevent them redeeming rewards they are not entitled to. This protects your store.
Why should I create rewards at different points costs?
A reward ladder entices your members to earn points to spend on your rewards. It allows them to work towards a reward that is appealing to them and gives them the choice of the reward that they want the most. Loyalty programs with 3-5 rewards see greater success, in terms of customer engagement.
Can members redeem more than one reward at a time?
Even if a member has enough points to redeem multiple rewards, they can only use one reward discount code at checkout at a time. This is set by Shopify to prevent discount stacking.
Can a member redeem their discount code more than once?
No, reward discount codes are unique and only available for one time use.
Tips for success
- Get creative with your reward titles. Add variety and personality to your reward titles to create customer interest in redeeming rewards.
- Create three or more rewards to encourage members to earn more and more points to spend. A rewards ladder gives your members more flexibility to choose rewards they would like to earn points towards and encourages them to spend more in order to achieve higher point cost rewards.
- In-store - Make sure your staff know what your loyalty rewards are so they can inform customers at checkout. This will encourage your existing members to be active with the loyalty program, and new customers to join.
- Find out what rewards your members like - try creating rewards with different discount types and amounts and measure their success.
- It’s important to be sure you also include the relevant terms and conditions for rewards. Whether it's to encourage fair use or to protect your store, outlining exactly how and when your rewards can be redeemed ensures that your rewards are used as you intend them to be used.