✨ Free product - Giving your members a free product is a great way to thank them for their loyalty. It delights them by creating the same feelings as receiving a gift. It’s also a great way to move idle stock.
📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the item is added to the sale.
Creating rewards is easy. There's no need to create coupon codes - these are automatically generated when a member spends their points to redeem the reward. Coupon codes are unique and only work once.
In this article:
- How to create a free product reward
1. Find your product ID in Shopify
2. Create a free product reward
- Tips for success
How to create a free product reward
Part 1: How to find a product ID in Shopify
Creating a free product requires you to find the product's Shopify product ID.
- In your Shopify Admin, go to Products
2. Under All products, click on the product you'd like to use as your free product reward
3. In the URL of your product, copy the ending 10 digit number
This is your product's unique ID code.
Part 2: Create a free product reward
1. In your Beautiful Loyalty Programs for Shopify admin, go to Rewards
2. Click Add Reward
Add the details of your reward:
3. Reward Title: Give your reward a title that lets your members know which product is free and gets them excited to redeem it
4. Coupon Type: Click Free Product in the drop-down
📝 Note: Do not select % off to create a 100% off discount, as this will mean that if the member adds the item to the cart multiple times, they will get them all for free.
5. Discount amount: Enter the product's retail price
6. Points cost: Set the number of points a member needs to spend to redeem your reward
7. Click Advanced options, go to Only apply to one item with this product ID
8. Paste your Shopify product ID (10 digit number) in the text box and click Add.
9. Under Terms, enter any terms that you want your members to abide by when using this reward and let them know to add the reward product to their cart and that it is online only.
💡 Top tip: It's a good idea to add a little instruction here - "Please add the item to your cart before checkout."
10. Click Create
Your new reward will now show on the Rewards page of your loyalty widget and is ready for your members to redeem.
📝 Note: When stock of this product runs out, you'll need to remember to update this reward.
How do members redeem Free Product rewards?
- Online - The member adds the free product specified in the reward to their cart and their unique coupon code to the discounts bar at checkout. The reward discount is automatically applied to deduct the full retail value of the product. If they do not add the product to their cart, the reward will not work.
- In-Store - 📝 Note: This reward type is recommended to be online only. If you want to have it available in-store as well, it requires strict staff training to ensure the item is added to the sale.
The member will tell staff that they have a reward they would like to redeem. The staff member adds the member's details to the sale and must add the free product to their cart. It is important to make sure the product is the specific product outlined in the reward details. The staff member then needs to click redeem on the reward under the member's account. There are no checks in place to make sure they add the correct product.
Here's more detail on POS reward redemption
Does the points cost get taken away from their balance when they redeem a reward?
Yes, as soon as a reward is redeemed, the members points balance is adjusted, removing the points cost, to prevent them redeeming rewards they are not entitled to. This protects your store.
Why should I create rewards at different points costs?
A reward ladder entices your members to earn points to spend on your rewards. It allows them to work towards a reward that is appealing to them and gives them the choice of the reward that they want the most. Loyalty programs with 3-5 rewards see greater success, in terms of customer engagement.
Can members redeem more than one reward at a time? Even if a member has enough points to redeem multiple rewards, they can only use one reward discount code at checkout at a time. This is set by Shopify to prevent discount stacking.
Can a member redeem their discount code more than once? No, reward discount codes are unique and only available for one time use.
Tips for success
- Get creative with your reward titles. Add variety and personality to your reward titles to create customer interest in redeeming rewards.
- Create three or more rewards to encourage members to earn more and more points to spend. A rewards ladder gives your members more flexibility to choose rewards they would like to earn points towards and encourages them to spend more in order to achieve higher point cost rewards.
- In-store - Make sure your staff know what your loyalty rewards are so they can inform customers at checkout. This will encourage your existing members to be active with the loyalty program, and new customers to join.
- Find out what rewards your members like - try creating rewards with different discount types and amounts and measure their success.
- It’s important to be sure you also include the relevant terms and conditions for rewards. Whether it's to encourage fair use or to protect your store, outlining exactly how and when your rewards can be redeemed ensures that your rewards are used as you intend them to be used.