Importing a customer database into the app is not only for transferring from another loyalty program. You can import an entire customer database, along with points for their previous spend, or simply give all your best customers some gratitude points to get them started on your new program.
📝 Note: If you are in fact wanting to switch from another loyalty program, we have an easy-to-follow guide here.
In this article:
- How to export your customer database from Shopify
- Formatting your CSV for upload, with:
1. No points
2. Points based on order history
3. Gratitude points
- How to import customers into your loyalty program
How to export your customer database from Shopify
1. From your Shopify admin, click Customers
2. Click Export
💡 Pro Tip: Shopify's Filter Customers function allows you to apply different filters to only display a specific collection of customers that you'd like to export e.g. Customers whose accounts were created in the last 3 months.
3. Select the appropriate export option, depending on which customers you would like to import into your loyalty program.
💡 Pro Tip: Use Current search as the export option when using a filter.
📝 Note: CSV is the file format of a spreadsheet. You will need to use a spreadsheet program to open and edit a CSV file. Common spreadsheet programs include Microsoft Excel, Numbers on Mac or Google Sheets.
4. Select the type of CSV you would like to export. We recommend using CSV for Excel, Numbers, and other spreadsheet programs for best results
5. Click Export Customers to download your customer database
If you are exporting more than 30 customers, a download link will be emailed to you.
💡 Pro Tip: Read through Shopify's importing and exporting customer lists guide to learn more exporting your customer database, including explanations about spread sheets and .CSV files.
How to format your CSV file
📝 Note: Pay careful attention to the formatting of your spreadsheet's columns. The category names in your exported file will not necessarily match the formatting that is required when importing into the loyalty app database, so you will need to update these.
Save your spreadsheet as a .CSV file, with these column headings:
- Firstname (optional)
- Lastname (optional)
- Email (required)
- Points (optional)
Formatted like this:
Need help? If you have trouble with this, you can send it to us via chat at the bottom right of your screen.
Loyalty point options for importing customers
• No points
To import your customers to the loyalty program with 0 points, simply leave the 'Points' field empty before importing. This is the best option if you are introducing the loyalty program as a new incentive for customers and you don't want their order history to effect their eligibility for rewards.
• Points based on order history
To import your customers with points based on their order history from Shopify, you should convert their Total Spent value's into loyalty points.
1. Identify the Total Spent column in your database
2. Change the column title from Total Spent to Points
3. Highlight the column and change the number of decimal places to 0. This will give you a whole number that will now represent the number of points a customer will have in their loyalty account
📝 Note: This step applies in cases where $1 spent = 1 loyalty point. If your members earn more than 1 point per $ spend, you will have to multiply this column accordingly e.g. if $1 spent = 2 loyalty points, double the values in your Points column.
Also, keep in mind that the customers 'Total Spent' will include any relevant tax and shipping fees. If you don't want to include this in their point total, a good rule of thumb is to reduce the Total Spent by 15% before converting it into loyalty points.
• Gratitude points
Gratitude points are a nice way to say thanks to your customers and give them a little kick start when launching your program. You can simply add bulk points to all your customers loyalty accounts, or choose your top customers to give a blanket points amount to, e.g. 200 points.
Simply type the number of points in the Points column.
💡 Quick Tip: So you don't have to type the number on every row. Add it to the top row, then click on the box and drag down.
📝 Note: Customers with existing Shopify store accounts with you will not receive points for the Create an Account earn action when they are imported into your loyalty members list.
How to import customers into your loyalty program
1. In your Beautiful Loyalty Programs for Shopify admin, go to Members
2. Click Actions in the top right corner
3. From the Actions drop-down, click Import customers/points
4. In the Import customers/points pop-up, click Choose File and select your customer database CSV file
5. Click Start Import
Your customer database import will start.
📝 Note: This import may take 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of your database.
If you need a hand, please let us know at email@example.com or via the chat icon 💬 at the bottom right of your screen.